Wednesday 28 November 2012

A Quilting We Will Go.....


I don't often talk about my adventures into sewing.  I think I may have mentioned it in an earlier post some time ago, here maybe.  It was part of my crafting journey with both my Nans.....Apart from sewing labels onto dover & madden hats, I don't get the sewing machine out much, if at all.  Although my foray into sewing did claim a little glory.  This little retro type sun bonnet I made around 4 summers ago made it into Frankie Magazine .








































I never got the opportunity to see it in print, but I was pretty chuffed when I  found out....but alas I decided to stick with knitting, and the sewing machine got relegated to the back of the closet.

That's going to change....I'm making the Ollaliebery Ice Cream Quilt by Alicia Paulson.  Some of you may know her from Posie Gets Cozy Blog.  I purchased the pattern around 6 months ago but never had the urge to make it till now.  I just thought it was a great project to do over the Christmas and New Year break.

After much debating, I'm going with this colour palette.




A soft turquoise base with lots of patterning....I'm all for a good pattern!  Lots of light and dark....but what looks good online, maybe different when the fabric arrives from Fabric.com.....we'll see, but suffice to say I'm itching to do a spot of sewing, but don't worry none of my sewing attempts will be making it to d&m....this quilt is a personal item....because I'm now officially to lazy to crochet something for myself!!

Anyway I'll wait with great excitement for the fabric to arrive, and then I'll have to go out and purchase all the other bits and bobs that go with making a quilt....cutting board, roller cutter, special quilting pins, a walking foot for my sewing machine, cotton batting, calico backing.....the list goes on.....lets hope I end up with a great quilt, because this could become a very expensive WIP!!


Thanks for stopping by....and I'm open to any quilting hints and tips, any guidance would be appreciated.




Vic x  

5 comments:

  1. Vicki, no matter what fabrics you finally decide on, you will find that once you have finished machining the pieces together, the crowning glory, the quilting, will actually soften the look of the quilt. And you will love it, forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting Margaret, she asks that you don't pre wash any of the fabric, and at the end of the making of the quilt, you are to put it in the wash then the dryer, where she claims it will slightly pucker up to give it that squishy loved and lived look about it....so yes I'm looking forward to making it....in fact I'm so eager it's not funny....just a nice change and break from the knitting....I'm excited to be getting my sewing groove on!!

      Delete
  2. Ah, so no quilting once the quilt is completed? Will have to go back and have a look at her finished quilt. If that is so then it makes the whole project simpler...and quicker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely simple pattern Margaret, all 3 layers are sewn together on the sewing machine...I will be popping a little of that hand stitching knots randomly over the quilt.....there maybe a term for those little knots, but I don't know what they're called....so no patterning on this one, just squares. Easy peasy!!

      Delete
  3. Yep, no quilting! Mmmm, liking that a lot. Have fun

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, They are all read and very much appreciated. Except for spam, they're reported to blogger and google+ Vicki x