I made some baby leggins that I have christened Pippi pants....named after Pippi Longstocking because that's what they remind me of.
They were a little torturous to make....using a vintage knit 3ply pattern as a guide.....converting size to 8ply or DK, ridding the elasticated waist band for a ribbed & i-cord version, and chopping off the feet in place of ribbed bands....the original pattern was a pair of knitted stockings, part of a pram set, jacket, pants, hat & mitts. I really don't know how they used to knit in 3 ply!
I also made sure that I put some extra room in the bottom of these, big nappies, bigger bottoms!!. I also knew they had to be striped, and now I know why you don't see that many striped knitted pants....they're a bugger to knit and a bugger to sew, lots of counting and un stitching...matching all those stripes took it's toll on me!!
Anyway I will eventually make this a d&m pattern as well....hopefully I can decipher all my scribbled notes I created whilst making these....and then make a couple more sizes up to 12 months. We'll see, but the hat patterns are the priority for the minute!
Hope you're all well, enjoy your week.