Saturday 10 December 2011

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a ......Yarn

Some of you may know about my obsession with finding a discontinued yarn called Patons Fuzzy Wuzzy.....as a child growing up in the 1970's, my Mum and my Nana's knitted with this yarn like mad.  Apparently my sister and I had little bolero's, cardigans and hats all made out of this yarn....a mix of rabbit angora and lambs wool.....It probably stands to reason why I'm so obsessed with knitting and finding this yarn today.

 



Every now and then I decide to knit from my stash of Fuzzy Wuzzy when I get enough yarn gathered to make a reasonable amount of hats.....and the Fuzzy Wuzzy Gods have been very kind to me of late....2 huge stashes of this scrumptious yarn came my way.  Delphinium Blue with white angora fuzz, and fire engine red in it's original box.


















































Anyway, I've decided my obsession is costing me way too much money and often when bidding on this yarn when I purchase off eBay it has become more about winning rather than the yarn, and that's when it becomes dangerous, and this yarn has now become very expensive.  Thus it's time to knit it up and send it back out there for others to love....I only ever re-knit this yarn into original Patons Fuzzy Wuzzy patters, and the only one that I truly love is the little Kitty Kat hat.


































I knitted quite a few of these a couple of years back when I had a huge stash of pink and ice blue Fuzzy Wuzzy and these hats sold like hot cakes....funnily enough most of them went to Norway and Sweden....and I still get requests every now and again to knit them but due to the lack of yarn the answer was always no.











































































So my stash is big enough therefore I'm knitting these hats again and I adore knitting with this yarn although it
does tend to shed a little of the angora fuzz, but that's part of its charm....it obviously didn't bother us when we were babies.

There is a Ravelry page dedicated to people with stashes of this yarn....including mine, which from time to time I love to look at just to see if anyone has added to their stash or there is a new find but as I said it is becoming harder to collect so that is why I'm giving up my search.  So if you want to purchase one of the last of my vintage Fuzzy Wuzzy Kitty Kat hats....you'll find them here in my Etsy shop....the blue and the red will be added shortly.




Does anyone else remember this scrumptious yarn?


Enjoy Vicki x




















13 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki, my nana was never without a basket of fuzzy wuzzy wool. As soon as I read your post I got the goose bumps of nostalgia. I had gloves, berets but my favorite was a little shrug, nan started on a cardi and ran out of wool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and if they weren't knitting in Fuzzy Wuzzy they were knitting in Bluebell Crepe...it was one or the other!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I fondly remember my nana knitting with this yarn too :) It's funny how so many wonderful memories are tied up with our childhoods.
    They are rather adorable little kitty hats too, I can see why they are so popular.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. If someone was to procure some fuzzy wuzzy yarn would you be interested in knitting a kitty kat hat? (same price of course) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to find the pattern to knit your own hat if you havet hey yarn...the pattern I believe is readily available if you search around, try Ravelry, ebay or Etsy...I'd love to knit you a hat, but have way too much work on at the moment...Best of luck.

      Delete
  5. Hi I have just pulled out a pattern of a bolero I knitted for my daughter in Fuzzy Wuzzy when she was 6 yrs - I now want to knit it for her daughter, so was looking to see if this woll was still around, hopefully in the U.K. lovely to see your site,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this hat a long time ago and still have theattern. I only wished I could find the yarn needed, so I bought angora back then lol. As we only need Qo g it's not too bad. I love your red by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's really hard to find Francine. I still have a little stashed away.... Vx

      Delete
  7. Where did you find that wool I also had a belero and hat made from a pretty lemon color and I would love some of that wool where did you source it from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of this yarn I got from bidding on ebay or I found in local garage sales etc. It's getting harder to find and more expensive to bid. Thanks V

      Delete
  8. Lovely to find your site, I have a little stash of the blue...I've made a fantastic dolls cardigan from an old Sindy pattern. The rest I'm keeping until I fancy knitting something else. I've also got a single ball of lilac and oddments of lemon and peach. Years ago I used to knit baby hats and dresses in it! I still look on Ebay to see if anyone's selling some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh lilac, I like the sound of that. I had to give up my addiction to eBay and Fuzzy Wuzzy. Thanks for the comment. Vx

      Delete
  9. I knitted a cute cardi for one daughter many years ago, but ran out of yarn for the short sleeve on the other. Does anyone have a ball or less of a light red colour? It may have been the Salmon. I'm not sure.
    joanmahony@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, They are all read and very much appreciated. Except for spam, they're reported to blogger and google+ Vicki x